Car Blogs Categories
- Maruti Car Blogs
- Hyundai Car Blogs
- Fiat Car Blogs
- Nissan Car Blogs
- Mahindra Car Blogs
- Ford Car Blogs
- Tata Car Blogs
- Honda Car Blogs
- Renault Car Blogs
- Reva Car Blogs
- Skoda Car Blogs
- Mercedes Benz Car Blogs
- Chevrolet Car Blogs
- BMW Car Blogs
- Toyota Car Blogs
- Audi Car Blogs
- Volkswagen Car Blogs
- Lamborghini Car Blogs
Maruti Swift Blog
Best selling diesel cars in India
With yet another hike in the petrol prices of Rs 3.14 per liter by the Indian government, more and more car buyers in the country have started rushing to buy diesel cars in India. The buyer’s sentiment has changed considerably due to the increasing gap between the price of petrol and diesel fuel. In the National Capital, while petrol is available at Rs 66.84 per Rs/Ltr, the diesel is available at much lower at Rs 41.29 per Rs/Ltr. This roughly converts into a price gap of Rs 25 per liter between both of the fuels, as compared to the gap of only Rs 14 about a year back.
The petrol variants of the cars which were hot favorites just a year back, are now witnessing continuously decreasing demand. The car showrooms in India are now flooded with the consumer queries related to the diesel cars models. The segments which has witnessed a drastic change in equations in recent months due to the petrol price hike is the price segment of Rs 4 to Rs 10 lakh, where a number of diesel cars have marked their entry the in recent months. The entry of new diesel cars in India has further intensified the battle between the car makers. While most the car makers in the Indian market have already launched diesel variant of their cars in India, some of them are in the final stage of launching the diesel variants of their cars.
Here in this blog we are enlisting the 10 most popular diesel cars in India, in the price segment of Rs 4 lakh to 10 lakh. This will include the segments like compact hatchbacks in India, premium hatchbacks in India, starting range sedans in India and midsize sedans in India. Though there are a few popular diesel cars available in the premium sedan se3egment too, but including them in this blog is not feasible. Here we are starting with the hatchback segment first. In last two years, more than a dozen hatchbacks have marked their debut in the Indian market. While many of these were launched in both petrol and diesel versions simultaneously, some of them were launched in petrol version initially, followed by the diesel version after a few months. The list starts from here for top 10 diesel cars in India.
1) Maruti Swift Diesel : - The Maruti Swift diesel that marked its debut in the Indian auto market about a month back is the number one diesel car in the country. So far, more than 90,000 units of this model have been booked in the Indian market, out of which a majority contribution is of diesel version of the car. The new 2011 Maruti Swift diesel comes powered by a 1.3L, 1248cc engine that has been sourced from Italian car maker Fiat. The powerful engine of the car is capable of delivering a peak power of 74 Bhp @ 4000 rpm along with a peak torque of 190 Nm @ 2000 rpm. While at one hand the car has power packed engine at its heart to make sure impeccable performance; on the other hand, the Maruti Swift diesel mileage falls in the range of 18 to 23 km per liter. The car is currently available in the price range of Rs. 5,17,000 to Rs. 6,38,000. The superb combination of performance and economy makes the car grabbing first spot in our list of top 10 diesel cars in India. The car is an undisputed champion in the Indian market.
|See More Maruti Swift Diesel Pictures||Get Maruti Swift Diesel Price|
2) Ford Figo Diesel :- Choosing the car for the second spot in the list of top 10 diesel cars in the Indian market not that difficult. As Figo is the only car that given a run to Maruti Swift for its money, ultimately forcing the Maruti Suzuki to launch a new age version of Swift in the Indian market. Since its launch in March 2010 in the Indian market, over 1,00,000 Ford Figo models have been sold in the Indian auto market, out of which more than 60 percent were Figo Diesel versions. Powered by a powerful 1399cc, DuraTorq diesel engine, the Ford Figo delivers a maximum power of 68 Bhp @ 4000 rpm along with a peak torque of 160 Nm @ 2000 rpm. The fuel economy of the car falls in the range of 14 to 18 kmpl. Its superior performance and sublime passenger comfort fetches second spot for the car in our list. The Figo diesel is available in four variants in the price range of 5.46 lakh to 6.50 lakh.
|See More Ford Figo Diesel Pictures||Get Ford Figo Diesel Price|
3) Volkswagen Polo Diesel :- The Volkswagen Polo model was launched in the Indian market just a month after the launch of Ford Figo in April 2010. The Volkswagen Polo Diesel has been among the most sought after diesel cars in India. What makes it the hot favorite in this segment of compact hatchbacks is not only its high performance engine but also its flawless fascinating look. The Polo model is powered by a 1.2L, 3-cylinder diesel engine which is capable of delivering a peak power of 75 Bhp @ 5400 rpm along with a peak torque of 110 Nm @ 3750 rpm. The fuel economy of this German beauty falls in the range of 16 kmpl to 20 kmpl. The car has been shelved in the price segment of Rs 6.41 to Rs 8.08 lakh.
|See More Volkswagen Polo Diesel Pictures||Get Volkswagen Polo Diesel Price|
4) Nissan Micra Diesel :- Though the Nissan Micra diesel is not that successful in the Indian market but it has been receiving an overwhelming response in the overseas markets, where it is being exported from India. The Nissan Micra Diesel car is powered by a 1461cc, 4 cyl engine which delivers a massive power of 64 Bhp @ 4000 rpm, along with a peak torque of 160 Nm @ 2000 rpm. The diesel version Nissan Micra mileage is 23 kmpl. However, due to is high price tag, the car hasn’t been able to attract the price conscious Indian buyers, the way Swift and Figo models have been liked. The car has been shelved in the price range of 6.71 to 7.22 lakh in the Indian market.
|See More Nissan Micra Diesel Pictures||Get Nissan Micra Diesel Price|
5) Maruti Ritz Diesel :- Carrying the same Fiat sourced diesel engine that is used in its sibling Swift, the Maruti Ritz model has got the fourth place in this list. Even after being a true performer on the Indian roads, the Ritz diesel hasn’t been able to repeat the success achieved by Swift, mostly due to its comparatively lesser attractive looks. Price of the car starts at Rs 5.58 lakh and goes up to 6.20 for the top end version.
|See More Maruti Ritz Diesel Pictures||Get Maruti Ritz Diesel Price|
6) Maruti Swift Dzire Diesel :- While the already available version of Maruti Swift Dzire has been among the most sought after entry level sedans in the Indian market, the upcoming 2011 Maruti Swift Dzire Diesel is already one of the most talked about cars in the country. The car carries the same 1.3L diesel engine sourced from Fiat and delivers a peak power of 75 PS @ 4000 rpm along with a peak torque of 109 Nm @2000 rpm. The fuel economy. if the car falls in the range of 17 to 21 kmpl. The upcoming 2011 Swift Dzire diesel is expected to be better in performance as well as fuel economy as compared to the existing model of the car.
|See More Maruti Swift Dzire Diesel Pictures||Get Maruti Swift Dzire Diesel Price|
7) Maruti SX4 Diesel :- After successfully establishing it in the segment of mid-size sedan segment through petrol version, the Maruti SX4 was recently launched in the diesel version in the Indian market. Powered by a 1248cc, DDiS engine, the SX4 diesel delivers a peak power of 89 Bhp @ 4000 rpm along with a peak torque of 200 Nm @ 1750 rpm. It offers an exceptional mileage of 21 kmpl on highways, while city mileage falls at 17 kmpl. The two variants of SX4 diesel are available at Rs 9.07 lakh and 10.04 lakhs, respectively.
|See More Maruti SX4 Diesel Pictures||Get Maruti SX4 Diesel Price|
8) New Hyundai Verna Fluidic Diesel :- The popular mid-size sedan Hyundai Verna was recently launched in a new generation fluidic design version in the Indian market. The Verna diesel car is powered by the segments most powerful 1582cc, CDRi engine that generates a peak power of 126 Bhp @ 4000 rpm and maximum torque of 265 Nm @ 1900 rpm. The car has been appreciated for its power packed performance and considerable fuel economy that falls in the range of 17 to 22 kmpl.
|See more Hyundai Verna Diesel Pictures||Get Hyundai Verna Diesel Price|
9) Volkswagen Vento Diesel :- The Volkswagen Vento is the only sedan that has managed to challenge the supremacy of the erstwhile segment leader Honda City in the Indian market. The Vento diesel comes powered by a 1.6L, 4-Cylinder diesel engine that delivers maximum power of 105 Bhp @ 4400 rpm, with peak torque of 250 Nm @ 1500 rpm. The fuel economy of the car falls in the range of 15 to 20 kmpl. The Vento diesel car has been shelved in the price segment of Rs 9.2 lakh to 10.6 lakh.
|See More Volkswagen Vento Diesel Pictures||Get Volkswagen Vento Diesel Price|
10) New Ford Fiesta Diesel :- The new generation Ford Fiesta was launched just a few months back in India, the car is powered by a 1498cc, TDCi engine that generates a peak power of 90 Bhp @ 3750 rpm and peak torque of 204 Nm @ 2000 rpm. The New Ford Fiesta Diesel mileage falls in the range of 17 to 23 kmpl. And the car is priced in the range of Rs 10.7 to 11.95 lakh.
|See More Ford Fiesta Diesel Pictures||Get Ford Fiesta Diesel Price|
Besides these popular cars there are a number of other mentionable diesel run cars available in the country in the mass segment that comprises of recently launched Toyota Etios diesel and Etios Liva Diesel, Chevrolet Beat diesel, Fiat Punto and Linea Diesel, Hyundai i20 diesel and Skoda Fabia Diesel.
The rising petrol prices have forced the car makers to roll-out the diesel version of their cars in the Indian market. A number of diesel variants of existing cars are expected to hit the Indian roads in coming months including Tata Nano Diesel, Hyundai i10 diesel and Honda City Diesel.
29 Comments on "Best selling diesel cars in India"
Stupid people should have come with the Diesel version long back, when everyone else was there in the market with diesel enginesReply By Irfan Bandukwala Monday, November 21, 2011 2:47 PM | Edit