Wednesday, April 23, 2014
By Kriti Gupta
How to protect your car from heatstroke of summer
Summer time is time of vacation which means visiting new destinations and spending quality time with family either by available means of transport or by personal car. Traveling by personal car has its own benefits but a little mistake may interrupt your journey.
Therefore to avoid any such problem it’s better to keep few factors in consideration which will help you in enjoying an undisturbed journey. It would be important to know that effect in temperature and weather equally impacts to your car also, this is sometimes noticeable not noticeable. If an engine is allowed to get too hot, moving metal parts can start melting and may even fuse. Causing a Thus generating variety of internal problems for your engine. High temperature causes battery problem, it also steals the shine of the car color, cracked hoses, leaky radiators, underinflated tires and dirty filters are some other factors which can significantly lower your fuel efficiency, or worse, lead to a total breakdown.
So, to minimize these effects during hot summers taking following factors in consideration will enhance the condition of your car and facilitate you to enjoy comfort driving:
1. Tyre is one of the most overlooked parts of a car and drastic temperature can damage them so make sure to keep a check if they are balding. Driving on tyres with lower than optimum pressure will result in the weight of the car damaging the sidewall. Consult your owner's manual or the sidewall of your tire to see what your tire pressure should be and check it with a hand pressure gauge or just let the guys at the service shop do it for you.
2. The engine oil plays an important role in protecting the engine. It keeps hardworking engine parts running clean, smooth and cool. Do check your oil, let your car run for a few minutes, then park it on a level surface and shut off the engine. Open the hood and locate the oil dipstick. You're looking for two things here: the level of oil and how the oil looks if you are low on oil, you can either add another quart or simply change the oil completely. The oil should look brownish yellow and clean on the stick. If the oil is a dark color or there is a lot of dirt and grime in it, then you definitely need an oil change and oil filter replacement.
3. Dry weather and fast winds cause frequent dust storms in the summer this impacts the way the engine breathes. The air filter's job is to keep the dust and grime out of the air that enters the engine. A choked air passage results in a drop in fuel economy. The air filter also needs fairly regular maintenance if you drive on dusty and gravelly roads. Change it immediately if required. The air filter is not an expensive component to change. A clean air filter helps the car breathe better and improves mileage.
4. Nothing takes away car color shine as leaving your car at the mercy of the summer sun. The paint will start to fade with constant exposure and accumulating pollutants can corrode even painted surfaces. Wash your car regularly to remove dirt and other corrosive material. 'Pressure washing' will remove dirt from areas that are hard to clean, such as gaps between the windscreen and the body, under the bumpers and so on.
5. High temperatures are the main cause of battery trouble. The air conditioner constantly battle with summer heat and the blower fan working overtime takes a toll on the battery. So get it checked before the summer immediately. Check the terminals and cables for corrosion and get these cleaned. Further, batteries are more prone to losing electrolyte during the summer as a result of evaporation so this can lead to a dead battery.
6. It is a good idea to get the coolant replaced at least once a year. So, if the coolant in your car has not been changed for a while, then doing so just before the peak of summer would help to keep the system running better. Further, an important component of the cooling system is the radiator, which uses a fan to regulate the coolant temperature. Hence, keeping the fins of the radiator clean is necessary.